The subject matter of the case study is the project of the application for booking tables in restaurants.
An annual project from the Rest-Tech segment, where a 6-person team developed strategies and made applications for table booking for groups.
Analysis and business concept
At the very beginning, we defined the product.
For the purposes of the project, a complete analysis of the business environment was carried out using Business Model Canvas, Value Proposition, Value Model Canvas, SWOT.
Due to the fact that I focus on the UX process, I will skip the detailed description of this stage.
Understanding the needs and problems of users who eat in restaurants
- in what situations users go to the restaurant?
- in which situations they decide to book in advance?
- how do they make a reservation?
- what determines the choice of a particular restaurant?
- what problems do users encounter during booking and stay?
- what are the expectations during the process and the visit to the restaurant?
- what is the ideal booking process?
Criteria for recruitment users
- big cities
- 20-60 years old
- people with minimal technological competence
- families with children (2)
- single (2)
- pairs (2)
- people who have recently been in restaurants or who have used the food ordering application in the last year
- people who are professionally active or students and learners or travelers
IDI Interview results
The needs of customers
- Limitation of booking time to a minimum
- Simplifying the process and facilitating meetings in the group of contractors, acquaintances
- Menu preview and the possibility of ordering for a specific time
- Convenient payment methods (cash, in the background, account separation, electronic tip)
The needs of resturators
- A reliable payment system
- Minimization of service costs
- Access to the integrated CRM system
- Additional space for advertising and offer
The results of the research showed that our product in the original concept did not solve the problems of the users.
Thanks to which we could make a pivot and offer a service that solves the problems of both users and restaurateurs.
IDI Interview Screener
Functional benchmark of competition
Based on the data from the study, primary and secondary personas were developed.
At the workshop with the use of SAP Scenes we have developed User Stories, some examples below.
- As an assistant, I want to easily reserve a place for the group to eat together
- I as a user want to easily pay for a pre booking to be able to make a reservation
- As a user, I want to easily search for a restaurant to be able to make a reservation with a large group
- As a user, I want to be able to easily pay for the bill so as not to have to remember and be able to separate it
Customer Journey Map
Based on data and User Stories, we created Customer Journey Map.
This allowed us to better understand the needs and critical paths that the user must perform in the booking process. Visualization allowed to define critical problems and find solutions for them (quick wins).
At the beginning of the design process, we created the application information architecture.
In the selection of search options, filtering and sorting of results, the method of sorting cards helped us. This method was used several times during the iteration of the project.
- In the first stage, we wrote down all the functions that could be used in the application
- Then we asked the respondents to express their opinion on each function and assign points which would give them the highest value and most of them would use them
- Based on the study, we created a table that showed us what we should focus on when designing the application
BAse on User Stories, we have created critical paths that the user must perform in order to perform the reservation process in the application.
Based on the Usert Task we have created the Flow application
After developing the user flow, we started sketching solutions on paper, and then we started the first usability tests on paper prototypes.
This allowed us to quickly iterate and create a version that we could transfer to the Lo-Fi protoype.
Two equivalent Lo-Fi prototypes were created, one made in Balsamiq and Marvel, the other in Sketch and Invision.
Each version was tested on a group of 5 people. We collected the test results in the matrix.
We divided the errors into critical, important and recommendations. We made a synthesis of prototypes and started to work on Hi Fidelity screens.
Hi-Fi Prototype (sample screens)